I live for Sundays at camp when I am not on my day off. Sleeping in past the nonexistent 7:30 bugle. Lazy buffet breakfast in the dining hall with donuts, a cereal bar, and all the eggs, bacon, and fruit you want. Outdoor Sunday services. Late start activities. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, pears, rolls, and cake for lunch. Extended rest period. You catch my drift. Sunday, the day of rest, is celebrated at camp as a lazy day that we all have come to appreciate over the years. A slow, easygoing day to kick off another busy week of the session.


Sunday is my favorite day of camp because it reminds me of why I love coming to Seafarer. For over fifty years, the traditions have basically stayed the same. I wore my middie (sailor shirt) for seven years as a camper, a white CILT shirt for one year, and now proudly wear my blueberry staff shirt at Sunday lunch and special occasions. It is a tradition that ties me to all of those former Seafarer campers, including my mother, who went to camp for fourteen years. Like our own respective sororities, there are ties at camp that only those who attend can understand.
So Sunday, or "funday" as I call it, is a good day. It is special and magical, traditional and classic. It is what I look forward to every week and cannot wait to experience it again. But most importantly, I cannot wait to create the Sunday "funday" magic for my own campers this summer. Seafarer traditions are sacred, and I am looking forward to watching them experience them along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment