Language Translation

Saturday, January 11, 2014

new year, pneumonia.

You never know when things will take a turn for the unexpected.  I think that this is going to be my personal mantra for 2013.  After returning from a week with my family in Japan, I was not feeling well and found myself in bed for a few days with a 103 degree fever and horrible cough.  Moving was a challenge and at night I was freezing cold and burning hot at the same time.  And to top it all off, my appetite was way out of whack and I mastered the art of pouring coke with one hand in the middle of the night.  After four days of feeling completely the same, my mom took me to the doctor where we found out that I had (what the doctor said) a big case of pneumonia.


Cue the unexpected.  Instead of flying back to Miami and staying with one of my sisters during pre-recruitment, I stayed home on the couch in front of the television surrounded by 2 liter bottles of fluids.  Instead of crafting decorations for each night of recruitment, I drove down to Miami with my mom.  Instead of being an on-the-floor recruiter like I had planned, I became a food delivery girl with two other sisters.  And tomorrow with tomorrow being Bid Day I am slightly disappointed that I will not be able to participate in my favorite round of recruitment or know any of the new members joining us.


Some people say that ace playing cards are lucky.  I stumbled upon this picture from our vacation and can prove some accuracy to that statement.  Instead of meeting hundreds of girls and trying to remember all of them, I will get to meet the ones who are joining Kappa tomorrow.  Instead of losing my voice and getting sick, I have recovered from an antibiotic that has protected my immune system so I can fully enjoy our bid day activities tomorrow.  And even though it is upsetting to not get to participate in recruitment, I have two more years ahead of me and will get plenty more experience.  Sometimes we don't realize how lucky we are until we lose something.  This week I realize that I am so lucky to be surrounded by a group of girls who truly care about each other and have made me feel so much better during my recovery process.  And tomorrow we expand our sisterhood, the search for a little begins, and a new semester will start.

What could be better?


No comments:

Post a Comment