Language Translation

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

year 2 in review.

Today I had my last final and will finish moving out of my dorm before the road trip home with my mom.  I have said this over and over again, but the year literally flew by so fast yet somehow I managed to (at least I think) make the most of every moment here.


It all started with moving into my suite with the best roommate and suitemates that I could have asked for.  We bonded quickly through several Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond runs before the first day of school was upon us.  Then came football season-an incredible one might I add-when we were ranked for quite some time with big wins over the Florida Gators and an all-time high score of 77-7 against Savannah State.  In my sorority we gained new members through informal recruitment, including my twin and another one of my best friends.  For our fall sisterhood retreat we went to Build-A-Bear and had a quest around a local mall before celebrating Founders Day the next day.  This year our chapter celebrated 75 years, the longest a sorority has lasted at Miami.  The month of November brought with it two of my favorite events of the year.  It kicked off with participating in Miami's annual Homecoming Week when we paired with a fraternity to compete in singing & dancing competitions, a blood drive, parade, and more.  I was so proud to have coordinated the first-place float with my teammates.  And then the next week a semester's worth of work paid off when the Dance Marathon exec board and committee raised over $15,500 for Miami Children's Hospital at an 8-hour day of fun and activities.  I bonded with a great friend who became my Panhellenic big, and we have had many memories together since then.  And to round out fall semester my sorority had our annual semi-formal dance.

Spring kicked off with (recruitment and) Bid Day, when we welcomed many new members into our sisterhood.  My big turned 21 and we had a big celebration for her after the spring semester student government kickoff carnival where I became best friends with one of the girls that I will be living with in the fall.  The same month I got involved with student government elections and attended my first and only basketball game of the semester.  After the first mixer I claimed two beautiful girls as my littles and properly welcomed them to the family.  Greek Week came and went, when we had a blast competing in Homecoming-style events as part of the Greek community.  After spring break in Africa, my littles were initiated into our sisterhood.  The semester got even better, as we had another mixer and a fun crush party along with an even more fun trip to the Florida Keys where we kayaked and spent time together on the beach.  The semester rounded out with plaque reveal, where my littles completely stunned me with their artistic abilities and accidental matching, and formal.  I had a blast celebrating an amazing year with my sisters and wearing the dress that I fell in love with on Rent the Runway.


So looking back, it was a pretty amazing year.  I cannot wait for what is sure to be an incredible summer but know that it will be sad to say good-bye.  In the words of Carrie Underwood, I will carry you with me until I see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment