Language Translation

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What to Pack: Summer Camp!

Packing for summer camp seems like a harder job than it actually is!  All you really need are a few of the essentials and then some extra pieces.  You do not focus each day on what you wear because most of the day is spent in bathing suits but there are a few times when a little something extra is needed!

Outfit 1: Long Night Out
Counselors get one long night each week to go out to dinner, see a movie, go shopping, etc. and it is also the one night each week that you get to blow-dry and style your hair, put on a little makeup, and actually feel "like a human" as we counselors call it.  My outfit usually consists of a cute tank top and denim or colored shorts accessorized with nicer sunglasses and a pair of flat thong sandals.  Having a good purse is essential, too!  I keep my wallet, phone, and keys in addition to my glasses, spare makeup, and a headlamp flashlight for walking back to the cabin in the dark.

Outfit 2: Tank/Norts Day
So the bathing suit goes with outfits 2 and 3! Some mornings I wake up and feel like throwing a tank top and Nike shorts on over my bathing suits, which I usually get from Target!  Usually this is on days that are not 100 degrees or more or when I do not have time to change clothes before lunch or dinner.  I have a million or so kappa t-shirts and tank tops and twice as many Nike shorts that there are plenty of combinations to work with.  I always bring my North Face backpack to my activity stuffed with a towel and sunscreen.  And to top it all off, what don't a pair of Rainbow flip-flop sandals go with?

Outfit 3: Beach Cover-Up Day
On days when it is 100+ degrees and you have to wear something over the bathing suit to breakfast, I prefer to wear a cover-up type of dress with flip-flops.  My former co-counselor Sarah made this her daily uniform with a pair of chaco sandals.  And then when the sun is super bright at the morning flag raising, a pair of croakies around the sunglasses makes for more comfortable ears and eyes!  Pair the outfit with the same loaded backpack or time-off bag and you are ready to hit the activity or day off!

Outfit 4: Something Preppy
My personal favorite dresses in my closet are the Lilly ones that we can wear at camp from time to time.  From time to time we have dances with the boys' camp and at the end of each session we have a celebratory banquet when we girls get to actually dress up.  A lot of the girls where I go to camp follow the traditional "preppy" style like Lilly Pulitzer, and it is not uncommon to see us in Lilly dresses with Jack Rogers or similar style sandals, pearl earrings and cute jewelry.

12 days until I am back at the best place in the world!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment