Language Translation

Monday, August 12, 2013

culture shock.

After being away from home for such a long time, it is weird coming back into the swing of "normal life" in a big city especially when the biggest one I have been in has a population of only 25,000.  For one thing, I slept in until 12:30 yesterday afternoon.  Wait what?  Exactly.  Basically after 12 hours of sleep put me awake in the middle of the day, only to leave me groggy and even more tired for the rest of the day.  But I did get a pedicure with my mom which made up for some of that time.  We shopped around Target, I baked, and we had my favorite meal for dinner.  So I guess that makes up all the time.  Second of all, I used to spend every waking second of my time off on social media using up [almost] all of my data plan and computer battery just to catch up with the real world.  Now that I have come home all that I want to do is look up photos that my camp friends have put up.  My head is literally spinning as I try to keep up with sorority sisters, school friends, and camp co-workers that I need a break.

According to Urban Dictionary, "culture shock" is defined as the shock of moving from one culture to another often associated with laws, tradition, food, music, and general lifestyle choices.  Spot on.  I am currently in the midst of a culture shock transitioning from the small-town-and-camp atmosphere to the big city where driving to the Target only takes 15 minutes and there is actually cell phone service and several grocery stores with any food option you want.  But it's okay.  Soon I will be back on a relatively normal schedule before I head back to school next week and then life will be back as I know it.  I am beyond excited to be a SOPHOMORE in college with an awesome class schedule and a whole lot of meetings, activities, and things to do.  That's my culture.

So for now, here are two photos I found last night while looking through photos that one of my head sailing counselors, Madeline, put up.  Both were captured during fun times that I remember clear as day even though they happened about 9 and 8 weeks ago, respectively.  Even though I miss my camp culture, I can still relive it through photos like these and remember the good times.



"Culture is the process by which a person becomes all that they were created capable of being." -Thomas Carlyle 

No comments:

Post a Comment