Language Translation

Thursday, August 15, 2013

some like it cold.

There are many people at both camp and college who I adore.  But this summer I found a true personal role model in my head counselor.  In my second year under her supervision I was able to learn and grow in order to fully understand what it meant to be a really great counselor.  She was patient all the time, even with the little ones, and only showed positive expressions on her face.  When she entered the room her focus was completely on you and it seemed as if everything was okay.  She is the one person you can rant to without her judging and the first person I feel comfortable asking for little things.  She will honestly help you with everything from helping you relax with yoga to getting you a cold diet coke on the super hot days.  And during the school year, she is always just a text message or phone call away, one of those approachable people you wish were there every day.


While I could go on and on about how awesome she is and the difference that she has made in my life, while mentioning the fact that we are in the same sorority, she took the opportunity during one of our Monday morning meetings to share what inspires her to be her best every day.  And that comes from a book called Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist.  Quoted by Amazon as "a collection of stories that celebrate the extraordinary moments hidden in your everyday life," Cold Tangerines is one of those books that provides the comfort of a personal quote book in a more public, real-life setting.  Every single story offers hope and redemption and teaches you to look at the world in different ways.  Once I got home from camp this summer I decided to order the book and it is coming soon this week.  While I only got to experience bits and pieces at camp, I am looking forward to experiencing some of that inspiration that helps my role model and one of my best friends go on.

"I believe that if we cultivate a true attention, a deep ability to see what has been there all along, we will find worlds within us and between us, dreams and stories and memories spilling over. The nuances and shades and secrets and intimations of love and friendship and marriage an parenting are action-packed and multicolored, if you know where to look." -Shauna Niequist

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, I like your blog and loved it on blogionaire.com

    ReplyDelete