Language Translation

Sunday, March 16, 2014

the infamous question.

What did you do during your spring break? - the infamous question that I will be asked repeatedly this week or will be asking people as the week back to school begins.  Here in Miami, we are lucky enough to be near some of the most beautiful beaches, cruise ports, and tourist stops.  But this spring break, I went a little outside the lines and took an adventure to a place that no one might have guessed.


I am fortunate enough to have family who let me stay with them for the week of spring break in Johannesburg, South Africa!  I had not seen them since my high school graduation and enjoyed spending time with my aunt, uncle, and three cousins over the course of my break.  Because a picture tells a thousand words, I'll tell my spring break story through them here:
We spent three days on safari at a lodge just south of Botswana, taking game drives every morning and afternoon to see the wildlife in its native habitat. 
One day we happened to come across a bunch of lions crossing the road going to the watering hole.
Each day on safari we tracked down beautiful male lions. 
My cousins showed me around their school in Johannesburg, which reminded me of where I went to school back home!
I spent two days in Cape Town with my aunt.  Here we took the cable car up Table Mountain for a stunning view of the city.
We also went to a Penguin Reserve near the tip of the continent, which reminded me of my favorite childhood movie Madagascar. 
I enjoyed being able to walk through Robben Island Prison, where former leader Nelson Mandela was held captive.
On my last day in Africa, we went to a Rhino and Lion park where we also got to feed the giraffes!
It was the best spring break that I could have asked for, and I could not imagine anything better.  Especially getting to spend it with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment