Language Translation

Monday, August 20, 2012

For Your Own Health...and fun!

Wow!  That was fun.  Tonight the Herbert Wellness Center hosted an Open House party for all of the new freshmen, and it might have been the best orientation event this last week.  There were free t-shirts, bags, pizza slices, and smoothies along with different booths for departments at the university.  The police department and health center had booths and different sections of the athletic department provided free schedules for games during the year.

Then the fun part.  Yes, it gets better.  The entire basketball court was transformed into bounce house heaven with inflatable obstacle courses including a jousting ring, adrenaline challenge, football challenge, and oversize boxing.  AND if that wasn't fun enough, the yoga studio had TVs set up with different video game fitness activities including DDR and Wii Fit.  It was such a well-organized event that I plan to go there every day and try something new.

Today was a free-flowing orientation day BEFORE all of this fun stuff.  Different departments at the university hosted interest sessions including the career center, Greek life, study abroad, religious groups, transportation, entertainment, etc.  I went to about 4 or 5 before going to buy round one of school supplies.  It is hard to believe that we I will start my first day of college classes in just 36 short hours.  Yes, Mom, I will make sure to take that annual first day of school picture!

This afternoon, the MT7 RA Capps (Amanda) took us to play Wallyball, indoor volleyball where you can bounce the ball off the walls.  About 6 of us played before hitting the dining hall and then the fitness party.

Tomorrow is the event that everybody has been waiting for: Cane Fest.  Almost every school organization will have booths set up in the Bank United Center with giveaways and free food in hopes that freshmen will sign up for their club.  Everyone has told me that this is their favorite part of orientation and a great closure to the week.

Happy first day of school to all of my friends still in high school and good luck to my little brother as he starts his first day of high school.  It seems like just yesterday that I was in his position...and here I am!  Best of luck and remember, it's all about the []_[]

Photo (from left): my roommate Jenna, neighbors Marisa and Kelly, floormate McKenna, and me at the president's new student picnic last night.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah,

    We loved your blog about yesterday's events! Great job! Thanks for the shout-out for Aaron - he left this morning for his first day of high school and yes, I remember the day you left for your first day of high school, too! Be sure to take that first day of school picture tomorrow - your first one not in uniform or dress code! Enjoy!

    I love you very much!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete