Language Translation

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Having Class...Academic, That Is!

Today was the first of two first days of classes at UM.  Now you're probably wondering what that means.  Well, in college you have classes that meet Monday-Wednesday-Friday for 50 minutes and then other classes that meet Tuesday-Thursday for 75 minutes.  Today was the first day of classes for Monday-Wednesday-Friday groups, and it was actually quite fun!

Today was the first day of school in my life that I could sleep in and still be on time for class!  After taking the annual first day of school photo (thanks, Jenna!), I headed to Math 113, Finite Mathematics with Applications to Art.  MTH113 will be the last math class that I ever take in my schooling career and the teacher, Mr. T, added the art component for good closure to math for good.  It was quite fascinating, if I may say so myself.

Next was the first class that I will be taking for my major, TAL101, which is code for Social and Cultural Foundations of Education.  I can already tell that this class, comprised of freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, is going to be one of my favorites.  Dr. Diem seems very "chill" and laid-back, but he is also very interactive.  He said that we will be doing mostly in-depth discussions about our readings, 4 papers, and 2 tests.  Another reason why I am looking forward to his class: NO FINAL EXAM!!!  That will certainly make life a lot easier when it seems that everything is happening at one time.

My last class of the morning was REL101, Introduction to Religion.  My teacher, Dr. M, actually lives in Hecht Residential College as the faculty master!  The class will be full for the semester, about 150 students, which will be my biggest class.  I have heard that Dr. M is such a fantastic teacher that her classes fill up quickly.  From reading the syllabus, I can tell that I am going to enjoy the material!

On Mondays and Fridays, my days will end there.  But on Wednesdays, I will be taking a class called UMX, which is an in-depth look at the university for freshmen.  Prior students call it University of Miami 101, and it is taught by my academic advisor.


1 comment:

  1. Hannah!

    You're going to do great and we're so proud! We love you!

    ReplyDelete