Language Translation

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sub Bucket List

By now you know that I have written a bucket list of things that I want to do while I am in college.  Well, I hate to break the news but that is actually my sub-bucket list because I have actually made a bucket list of things that I want to do in my lifetime.  College is just one part of this crazy and fun life I am living but there is so much more to see and experience.  That being said, yesterday I crossed something off of my personal bucket list.


A lot of people say that they want to save a life sometime during their lifetime.  Well, as challenging as it seems, this is actually a pretty vague goal that has a very desirable outcome!  Yesterday I proudly crossed off this item by participating in the Bleeding Love: Cupid's Blood Bank Drive as part of the 2013 UMiami Greek Week.  Personally I am terrified of needles and blood and, well, anything involving a doctor's office.  But I knew that this was for a good cause and it was Kappa's day to send their girls so I couldn't say no.  I went with my pledge sisters Kelly, Keelin, and Claire and we waited together (for about 2.5 hours!) while snacking on the treats that the committee provided us.  There was plenty of pizza, some cookies, chips, and gatorade to keep iron and blood sugar levels high and we were all encouraged to eat as much as we wanted.  After check-in, a physical, some paperwork, and registration we all waited together and even ended up on lounge chairs in the same area of the ballroom.  Even though I was nervous, having sisters there by my side made it all so much easier and we got a pint of ice cream and a free t-shirt once finished!

According to health reports, one pint of donated blood can save up to 3 lives.  And with the help of the One Blood Alliance, UM Greeks have been able to save thousands of lives while raising thousands of dollars in the process.  For each Greek that donated blood, $5 was given back to United Cerebral Palsy.  I am proud that I was able to conquer my fear and use a little inspiration to give back to two different communities.  The free t-shirt and temporary bruise/scar on my arm are constant reminders that anything is possible when you give back.

Today I challenge you to do something for someone else.  Whether just a simple compliment or lending a computer charger to a friend (college student status), even the smallest act of kindness can provoke a change in others' attitudes.

Have a great day!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment