Language Translation

Monday, April 14, 2014

morning coffee break: [more of] the truth about class registration.

It is crazy to think that last week I signed up for my fifth semester of college classes.  And yes, five is more than half of eight, meaning that as of the end of this semester I will be halfway through college.  And with the fact that I am turning 20 in exactly two months (whaaaaaat?), I have come to the realization that I am old...getting older...you get the picture.  But there is a perk to being old that I do enjoy, and that is junior class registration.


When it comes down to it all, you go to college to get a good education and build a path for (what should be) the rest of your life.  And that means class comes first.  Well, most of the time anyway.  For me next semester that means tackling one of my last two general education classes and having to take Biology.  Yes, Human Biology is on my class schedule for next semester.  While science may not be my strongest subject, it is such a good resource to have friends who are science majors who have already offered a hand in helping me understand the material.  Something else that next semester means is focusing in on what I want to do.  Unfortunately Miami does not offer Speech-Language Pathology as a major.  But because I love my major and want to keep it while staying here, my advisor and I created a plan that ensures I take what I like and need.  So I'm taking Interpersonal Communication and Freedom of Speech and Expression as electives in the School of Communication.  Both sound pretty interesting to me.  And then because I love the psych department here I am taking Social Psychology as an elective and then rounding out my schedule with one class in my actual major, Community Psychology.  5 classes for the 5th semester; I'll take it.  But what's nice about upper-level classes is that most are 2 days a week.  Which means for the first time ever I will end up with no Friday classes.  I'm on a 3-2-3-2 plan and cannot wait for the extra free time to do homework, bake, go to meetings, etc.  Class registration worked in my favor this semester, helping me nail all the courses I wanted to take, and I am already looking forward to them.

Now, for the truth about class registration: know your school's system, get through the process and end up on waiting lists early if you have to, follow your advisor's suggestions, take what sounds interesting and/or applies to you, and lastly have a good attitude.  It might be hard at first but it's so rewarding in the end.

Happy Monday to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment