Language Translation

Saturday, April 26, 2014

non-academics for the academics.

It's officially reading days, and this means that finals start on Wednesday.  Wednesday also happens to be the day that my first final paper is due, followed by another paper on Thursday, a cumulative final the following Monday, and then a noncumulative test rounding out the period the next Tuesday.  So until then I will find myself in a variety of study spots: today I did research for a paper in Starbucks for about 4 hours before taking a break for dinner at Lime, and now I am still not able to get over the fact that I found a private desk in the library on the silent floor.  It is perfect.  With tomorrow being formal and an event hosted by one of my sisters, I needed today to get as much work done as possible to make up for the lack of time tomorrow.  Before I transition to starting work on my English paper, here is my list of the top 5 non-academic essentials that get me through finals week.


1) Leggings are my favorite to wear during finals week.  What is awesome is that they go with everything, and they have a consistent fit through the legs, making them more comfortable than traditional Nike shorts or jeans.  I have a ton of pairs but my favorites are from Victoria's Secret, Athleta, and lululemon.

2) I could go on and on about my love for Starbucks.  We are fortunate enough to have two on the University of Miami campus, and their different hours attract crowds at all times of the day.  It is also a great place to study if you don't mind a little noise, and it is a productive environment where you are likely to see someone you know.  While I have a lot of favorites there, during finals week I especially enjoy the Mocha Frappuccino Light, (hot) Skinny Mocha, Blueberry Muffin, and the Ham, Egg, and Cheddar breakfast sandwich.

3) Study snacks are an essential if you are going to be in one place for a long period of time.  Fruit and granola bars are always good to have on hand, especially with all of the junk food options that come up during sponsored study breaks or vending machines during late hours of the night.  But sometimes you need a quick pick-me-up when deadlines are looming or the darkness is getting you down.  My personal choice in that case is pretzel or dark chocolate m&ms when I need chocolate and pop chips or pretzels when I crave something salty.

4) Earbuds.  Do I need to say more?  Well, I will anyway.  They block out noise and fill your ears with whatever music you desire.  And when you're walking somewhere and don't want to talk to anyone they automatically tune you out from the world.  A stellar invention I must say.

5) Last but not least, warmth.  There is a mantra here that the hotter it is outside, the colder the buildings get.  And I am 100% in agreement with this.  Today the high was 90 but I would never have known considering Starbucks was unusually cold and the library right now is freezing.  Luckily though I have the warmth of my beloved Marley Lilly quarter zip to wear with my leggings.  Although at our last HEC meeting we received our **FREE** fleece quarter zip sweatshirts that I haven't taken off (or at least not worn) since Tuesday.  Needless to say I'm obsessed.

Well, that's finals week in a nutshell.  While it is not fun to be cooped up and studying, at least I have the help of my non-academic essentials to get me through.  Have a good weekend, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment