Hannah's Homework Plan:
1) Find a place where you can focus: this is anywhere that you know won't be distracting or harmful to finding your mantra. Sometimes I like working in Starbucks, sometimes I like the comforts of my room. It also depends on the day. On weekdays I prefer the second floor of the library while on weekends I may work at my own desk, the study rooms in my residential college, or library stacks. And it also depends on the assignment. Just find whatever works best FOR YOU.
3) Essays: the one thing none of us can ever escape from, no matter how old we are. But, I have found a science to writing papers that really works, especially in my English class. I open up a blank word document with the assignment in another window or a hard copy in front of me and write everything that I know about or think about in relation to the assignment. From there, I organize my ideas into paragraphs, come up with a thesis, and format it perfectly. Then I make sure that all of the questions are answered, everything is cited properly, and that I have completed the assignment. Every assignment that I have had to do here must be submitted online but I have also found that printing hard copies and doing editing on paper helps too! Especially from Public Speaking, I have found that reading aloud to myself and other classmates has helped me improve my writing as well.
4) Tests: ah, these never get old. But they all depend on the class. I have found that study groups are very helpful, especially groups of four or more, because in mine, we have all combined our notes into a good outline and then sent hard copies to each other via email. It also helps because we are able to share notes and pick up ideas that somebody might have missed in class or not thought of before. But it all depends again. I have found that grouping details around major concepts has helped me organize my thoughts when it comes to thinking about multiple choice and essay questions. Outlines and notecards are also invaluable study strategies as well, in addition to color coding, highlighting, and rereading important parts of the textbook.
5) Digital vs Handwritten: this is a common debate in college with the recent rise in students using laptops more than desktop computers. Personally, I have started using my laptop and iPad now for notes so that I can type directly on PowerPoints and create better outlines. There are also great Apps in the App Store on iTunes for iPads for reading and writing notes, my personal favorite is Notability. You can load PDF copies of textbooks right into the app and annotate them with a stylus or type directly on them as well. It all comes down to personal preference and battery life. I used to be a handwritten girl, but now I use both equally just in different forms for my different classes.
So now that you see how I have made this part of my lifestyle, you will understand how blogging fits into all of this. I spend a few hours every weekend working on marketing, networking, and designing different ideas so that I can improve your personal experience. There are a bunch of great blog directories and networks online that I have become a part of, and I am looking forward to continuing this project through my college graduation in 2016!
Have a great Thursday, and I will be back to blogging once this major rain/snow cloud that I call homework stops pouring on and causing post delays.
XOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment