During sophomore year, I wrote the Day in the Life pieces for the student newspaper as part of the features page. I interviewed anybody from a third grade math teacher to even the school president; anybody who wanted to be a part of the column could be in that section. So, in keeping with my favorite part of Bugle, here is a look into two different days I have at college:
Typical Tuesday:
8:00 I slowly get out of bed, brush my teeth, and get ready for the day
8:45 A quick cereal or fruit and granola bar breakfast while watching Today
9:05 I'm out the door on my way to English 105
9:30 I'm sitting with my friend Katie in English class and we're listening to Mrs. P talk about our writing assignments or watching a group reading presentation.
11:00 It's up to Merrick 308-A for Education 103, my education psychology class, which is probably my favorite class this semester.
12:30 I meet my friend Allie on Tuesdays or Thursdays for lunch on or off-campus. Our favorite place right now is Shake Shack!
1:45 I'm in the gym running on the treadmill and doing some insane ab workout
3:30 It's back in the dorm or library after a quick shower to to homework or study
6:00 I'll grab dinner in the dining hall or make an EasyMac in the microwave depending on how much work I have done and have left to do.
7:00 I am a member of the Relay for Life planning committee, and we meet several Tuesdays during the semester to plan the event and recruit teams. I am on the Greek Recruitment committee.
9:00 I am back in the dorm watching something on TV, checking email, or doing more homework (as is usually the case)
11:30 I am back in bed listening to music or just totally passed out from the long day.
Typical Wednesday
7:00 I sluggishly wake up and crawl out of my lofted bed.
7:30 I hit the gym for cardio, weights, and strength training.
8:45 I'm back in the dorm taking a shower, watching Today, and and getting ready for the day.
9:25 It's a quick trip to Starbucks for a skinny caffe mocha and piece of fruit.
10:10 I'm in my seat ready to discuss current events in my Education Sociology class.
11:15 I'm usually set up with my iPad in the Learning Center for Religion 101 and sitting with my RA.
12:05 It's a quick trip to Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall with my friend Sara for lunch.
1:00 I hit the second floor of the library to get some studying done before my next class.
3:35 UMX class with my education advisor; it's a one-credit class designed to give students more detail about the university's features
5:00 It's up the three flights of stairs to Public Speaking where I am one of two freshmen but still consider it one of my favorite parts of the day.
6:30 I meet one of my friends or a group of floormates back at Hecht-Stanford Residential Dining for dinner. We usually leave with a small, sweet dessert
7:30 I'm back in the dorm studying, doing extra homework, watching TV, and/or preparing for tomorrow morning.
11:30 (give an hour occasionally): I'm under the covers listening to relaxing music or already asleep after my very long day.
As you can see, every day in college is different. Classes take up some time, but activities and study time makes up the most of it. A little curve ball may be thrown around every now and then, like during exams or when teachers cancel classes, but I have made a set routine that guides me through each day.
What really helps is making a daily schedule and color coding (or whatever helps you) so that you can see how much time you have for different activities during the day. Have a great day, and think of me when I'm struggling to focus Wednesday afternoon in Club Richter (WH HINT HINT).
No comments:
Post a Comment