Language Translation

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Appreciating the Little Things


I dedicate this blog post to my outstanding head counselors from Seafarer 2011 and 2012.

Being a sunflower or caterpillar means always looking on the bright side, finding joy in everything, and appreciating the small things and little moments that make our lives complete.  Sometimes it may be easy to find these things and other times not so much, but their beauty and value add so much meaning to our lives, especially when we least expect it.

Look at college, for example.  Ask any college student or graduate about their experience.  There is a lot of work, never enough time, so much going on, millions of activities, clubs, and organizations, and more people than you can count.  Days go by as classes and homework take up our time and papers and exams take up our energy.  A workout at the gym, quick trip to the dining hall, and brief interactions with people take up the extra time left during the day.

But in the (almost) four weeks that I have been here at UM, I have come to appreciate the lessons that my head counselors have taught me as I see them in everyday life.  The football game watch parties, even when we lost.  Card games in the early morning hours.  Pretty Little Liars with all of the lights out.  Late-night movies with floormates.  Eating cookie dough during the hurricane.  The dinner with someone new who became a great friend.  Each of these experiences is beautiful in its own way.  Something that we never expected yet something amazing.  Looking back on the last four weeks, these little moments stand out more to me than any time I spent in class.



Sure, work is important, and after this I will get back to writing my English paper, but what is most important is to make these four years the best years and appreciate every second because "It's not the years in your life that count.  It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln

3 comments:

  1. I like this. A lot. Keep remembering this when you're doing work into the late hours of the night. Camp is an amazing place...you've known that for years. Miami will be an amazing adventure, too...after all, these little things add up to some really big and special memories.

    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammie wants to know - Is this fountain in front of the School of Music???

    ReplyDelete