Based on my first semester experience so far, here are some of my tips for having the perfect day in college:
1) Go to sleep at a decent hour.
"Decent hour" will vary from person to person, so it is very important to find out what works for you. I have found that when I stick to a normal sleep schedule (give or take 7-8 hours nightly), I focus better in class and am more likely to be in a better mood, which makes everything seem a little easier. Being positive comes from having enough energy, and positive energy makes everything great.
2) Go to class.
I am not the type of person to skip class because I know that it can become a habit if I do it more than once. If you know that you are not going to get out of bed for an 8 am lab every Monday, schedule something different. There are those general education classes that you have to go to and are only offered once, but the benefits of going to class vs not can make a huge difference in your grades, which are already heavily looked at as a freshman.
3) Get involved with a few things that you love.
At the beginning of the year, I got involved with Relay for Life, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the Future Educators Association Honor Society, and Hecht College Council. I joined these student organizations because I connected with their missions, visions, and/or goals. But I also wanted to do stuff that I enjoyed so that it would not seem so much like a chore. As a campus fundraising rep for Relay, I help Greek organizations raise money and answer any of their questions and love every minute of it. Getting involved with a few great things and a decent time commitment is so much more valuable and fun than a million things with no connection and time commitment.
4) Make time for you.
It can be overwhelming to jump right in to school and meet a ton of new people and feel inclined to be surrounded by them all the time. That was especially the case for me, trying to find a certain group of friends while all I wanted were a few great friends who I shared common bonds. My friend Sara and I are among the 8 freshman elementary education majors and we met at new student weekend. I met Talia at the first Hecht College Council Meeting. And while I enjoy my time with friends, I really enjoy the time I take out of each day for myself. Going to the gym before people are awake. People watching at Starbucks before class. Studying under an umbrella at the UC. Those times are when I can recharge and that is when I can really enjoy time with my good friends who I love.
5) Live healthfully.
Living in a dorm and having a meal plan automatically puts you at risk for gaining the dreaded freshman 15. Add to that odd class schedules, no meal time once or twice a week, and the heaps of snack food in your drawers, and suddenly it feels as if the world revolves around food. I try to go to the gym every weekday when possible and at least once on the weekend. I buy the majority of my fruits and vegetables at the on-campus farmers' market every Wednesday. Planning ahead what I want to eat in the dining hall helps so that I know what my options are. Eating healthy and exercising makes you not only look better but feel better as well. And it does not take much, just a few simple changes.
I hope this helps you in creating your own perfect day.
xoxo
.jpeg)




No comments:
Post a Comment