Friday, October 12, 2012
I said it's great. To be (a what?). A MIAMI HURRICANE
Today was NOT you average Friday. Yes, I went to class, the dining hall, the gym, and all that typical day-to-day stuff, but at 4:30 the day became more special!
Tonight was Homecoming Kickoff at the Rock, and it was so much fun! Downstairs in the lobby we all got our free Hecht homecoming t-shirts, which is special because we are the only residential college team. Here at UM, a group of students can form a team to compete in different Homecoming festivities and then you get points for your team by attending and winning different events like the Alma Mater competition (glee-style events), Organized Cheer, Spirit Tree (each team makes an ornament to put on the campus tree), Homecoming Float, Hurricanes Help the Hometown, and the Blood Drive.
The first event at kickoff was the U statue reveal by student government. It is considered a good luck charm for all of the students, and we were asked to touch it in honor of the game tomorrow vs. UNC and the next game vs. FSU. Sebastian the Ibis was there for pictures, and look at this-apparently, it is rare for Sebastian to ever pick up students, so I got lucky! This is me with some of the Homecoming team in our awesome new neon shirts. Oh yeah, Hecht Yeah!
Then we went as a Hecht team to get dinner from the Cuban restaurant that catered before the kickoff pep rally began. Everyone says that it is the most fun week of the school year, and I cannot wait for all of the festivities to start. As a member of the float committee and the team that created the UC banner, I cannot wait to see all of our hard work put into action to get some points. Hecht has won the competition for the last three years, and we are determined to win it again! All of the RAs have been incredibly supportive in preparing us for the week. Friday is the carnival, food trucks, parade, and Canes spirit day! It will be my first Homecoming where I can deck out in spirit gear for classes, and I am ecstatic!
Let's get ready for an awesome homecoming celebration. The tried. The true. The U.
Labels:
2012,
celebrate,
food,
friday,
homecoming,
hurricanes,
october,
sebastian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment