Language Translation

Friday, October 26, 2012

Miami Sights


1) Greek Letters: even though I am not in a sorority yet and only a small percentage of the girls on campus here go Greek, what the girls lack in size makes up for what they have in spirit and pride.  Panhellenic Letter t-shirt day is every Tuesday, but that doesn't stop girls from sporting their tote bags, hair bows, jewelry, etc.  This dedication to the seven Panhellenic sororities makes me excited to go through recruitment in January!

2) iPhones: everyone here it seems has a smartphone, but it feels like the vast majority of those are iPhones!  Miami even has a campus app that tracks the campus shuttle, has a campus calendar, and sends students alerts about different campus events.  I rely on mine for scheduling everything, checking email when my computer is not around, and listening to music at the gym.  It also makes a great alarm clock!

3) Sunglasses: when the sun is out and hot a majority of the time, shades are the way to go.  My personal favorite is my pair of Ray-Ban wayfarers with a croakie-they never let me down! But I also have a ton from giveaways that student orgs have on campus.  They are great for walking around campus in the sunshine and football games when the sun refuses to go away.  Just be sure you don't get a sunglasses tan (or in my case-burn)!

4) Backpacks: EVERYONE here has something to carry all of those textbooks and computers around-I see a ton of backpacks and tote bags.  Backpacks are great, especially mine that has lots of different compartments.  It is also better for your shoulders to spread out the weight.  I tend to use my tote bag on days when I only have two classes or don't need a computer.  But my blue North Face backpack with the monogram and acrylic paint stains from camp has so much personality to it that I just can't put it down!

5) UM Gear: students here at the U have pride in the school and show it all the time by wearing shirts, shorts, hats, yoga pants-truly anything that is orange or green.  Football games get intense with the sea of orange and green, but on a normal class day I see about 50% of students in some form of UM clothing or accessories.  This makes me proud to be part of such an incredible student body.  I love wearing my Canes gear on and off campus and cannot wait when I go back home to sport it when I visit my old high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment